Monday 20 October 2008

Where the streets are paved with cowshite - October 2007



I've got too much time on my hands i know, but it's too hot to be outside today so I ducked into an internet cafe to send you all a quick newsflash. I arrived in Rishikesh today, the "yoga capital of the world". Every other building is an ashram or yoga and mediatation school and every other person is an Israeli tourist. This is the first touristy plae I've been to since I was at the Taj Mahal. Spent the last week or so in places where there were only a handful of travellers so this is a bit of a shock to the system. It seems to detract from the experience a little, but the place itself is absolutely stunning. Nestled in the mountains alongside the Ganges, it has some spectacular views and beautiful villages nearby.

I spent yesterday in a place further down the river called Haridwar where I watched an evening prayer ceremony in which thousands of people came to swim in the Ganges and give offerings to the Hindu gods. I een got dragged into the Ganges by some Indian guy and his wife, but no serious diseases contracted as of yet.

Gotta go...the power has just gone in this cafe!

Love

Guy

No comments: